IAS is one of the prestigious with respect career choice among many of government sector, And it’s a branch of the Indian civil service, IAS is responsible for formulating and implementing government policies, It’s is conducted by the UPSC for the recruitment of officers for the all Indian administrative civil service.
Roles of IAS officer
- Policy Making
- Advisor to Ministers
- Policy implementation
- Maintenance of Law and orders
- Collection of Revenue and Function as courts in revenue matters
- Inspect the expenditure of public funds
- Disaster management during Natural calamities
Designations held by IAS officers during field posting
Sub-divisional officer (SDO), Sub-divisional magistrate (SDM) ,Joint collector/chief development officer (CDO)
District Magistrate (DM)/ District collector /Deputy commissioner
Member Board of Revenue
Chairman Board of Revenue
- Candidate must be minimum 21 years and maximum 32 years pf age , and 5 years relaxation for SC/ST category means age limit is 21-37 years and for OBC there is 3 years relaxation that is 21-35 years.
- candidate must hold a graduate Degree from a Recognized University
IAS selection process
- First stage is preliminary examination which is an objective paper, and numbers of attempts.
- General category 6 attempts
- OBC other backward classed 6 attempts
- SC/ST till the age limit
2. Candidate needs to qualify the UPSC Eaxamination
- The civil services Exam conducted by UPSC
- Promotion of state civil service officer to IAS 66% vacancies are filled directly through civil service Exam 33% of IAS post filled through promotion.
Facilities of IAS officer
- Salary of an IAS officer Rs 56,100 – 2,50,000 for a cabinet secretary with DA, HEAD
- IAS officer can get big house, security guard, servant and cooks, they recive this advantage irrespective of their designated district
- He gets government cars for official purpose
- Study leave up to 2 to 4 years at a respected foreign university and also university costs will be funded by the government.